“But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,”
Ephesians 2:4-6 NKJV
THIS SCRIPTURE SAYS WE ARE SEATED IN HEAVENLY PLACES. THAT IS OUR ETERNAL POSITION IN CHRIST. BUT THERE ARE DAYS, WHEN EXPERIENTIALLY, I FEEL CONTRARY TO MY POSITION IN CHRIST. I ASK MYSELF THIS QUESTION:
“IF I’M SEATED IN HEAVEN, THEN WHY DO I FEEL SO LOW?”
THE ANSWER IS: GET YOUR EMOTIONS IN CHECK
ALL EMOTIONS & FEELINGS ARE NOT BAD. JESUS IS TOUCHED WITH THE FEELINGS OF OUR INFIRMITIES.
“For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.” (Hebrews 4:15-16 KJV)
EMOTIONS ARE GOOD, BECAUSE GOD GAVE THEM TO US. THE BIBLE SPEAKS ABOUT EMOTIONS, AND JESUS HIMSELF EXPRESSED EMOTIONS.
- THE WORD “WEEP” IS MENTIONED 49 TIMES
- WE ARE TO WEEP WITH THOSE THAT WEEP ( 12:15)
- CRY – 181 TIMES
- LAUGH IS MENTIONED 18 TIMES AND LAUGHTER 7 TIMES
- A MERRY HEART DOETH GOOD LIKE A MEDICINE ( 17:22;15:13)
- IT EVEN SPEAKS ABOUT GOD LAUGHING (HE GETS THE LAST LAUGH IN THESE END TIMES) – 2:4; 37:13; PROV. 1:26)
- ANGER – “Be angry, and do not sin”: do not let the sun go down on your wrath,”Ephesians 4:26 NKJV
- “GOD IS ANGRY WITH THE WICKED EVERYDAY.” (PS. 7:11)
- EVEN JESUS EXPRESSED ANGER OVER THE MONEY CHANGERS IN THE HOUSE OF GOD. (JOHN 2:14-15)
I MENTION THESE THREE BECAUSE THEY ARE OUR STRONGEST AND EXTREME EXPRESSIONS OF EMOTION.
BUT I AM FINDING OUT THAT SAINTS ARE BOUND UP BY THEIR EMOTIONS AND/OR LACK OF THE RIGHT EXPRESSION OF OUR EMOTIONS. WE DO WHATEVER WE “FEEL” OR DON’T FEEL LIKE DOING.
- COME TO CHURCH IF AND WHEN WE FEEL LIKE IT
- READ AND STUDY OUR BIBLE WHEN WE FEEL LIKE IT
- SING WHEN WE FEEL LIKE IT
- DANCE AND SHOUT IF THE “SPIRIT” HITS US
- TELL PEOPLE OFF WHEN WE FEEL LIKE IT
WE CANNOT SUPPRESS OUR EMOTION! NOR SHOULD WE DENY THEM. GOD WANTS US TO HAVE OUR EMOTIONS DIRECTED IN THE RIGHT WAY, TOWARD HIM. WE NEED TO BE PASSIONATELY IN LOVE WITH JESUS, AND HAVE PASSION IN THE THINGS OF GOD. IT’S CALLED ZEAL (ENTHUSIASM).
John 2:17…And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up. KJV
WE NEED TO SHOW PASSION WHEN IT COMES TO PRAISING HIM. BOTH MEN AND WOMEN NEED TO RELEASE THEIR EMOTIONS IN PRAISE AND WORSHIP TO THE LOVE OF OUR LIFE, JESUS CHRIST.
“ IN HIS PRESENCE IS FULLNESS OF JOY” (PS. 16:11). JOY IS NOT ALL FEELING, BUT FEELING INVOLVES JOY.
EMOTIONS ARE REAL. GOD GAVE THEM TO US, BUT WE MUST GO TO GOD TO RECEIVE HIS GRACE (DIVINE POWER & ABILITY) TO HELP US DEAL WITH OUR EMOTIONS. THEY MUST COME UNDER HIS AUTHORITY; IF NOT, THEY CAN CAUSE US TO MAKE WRONG DECISIONS.
DON’T LET YOUR EMOTIONS CLOUD YOUR SOUND JUDGEMENT –
APOSTLE SKIP HORTON
LET US LOOK AT TWO EXAMPLES IN SCRIPTURE OF PEOPLE WHO MADE BAD DECISIONS BASED ON THEIR FEELINGS AND EMOTIONS.
- (ISAAC FELT JACOB’S SKIN AND THOUGHT HE WAS ESAU).
(Gen. 27:15-23 NKJV)
“Then Rebekah took the choice clothes of her elder son Esau, which were with her in the house, and put them on Jacob her younger son. And she put the skins of the kids of the goats on his hands and on the smooth part of his neck. Then she gave the savory food and the bread, which she had prepared, into the hand of her son Jacob. So he went to his father and said, “My father.” And he said, “Here I am. Who are you, my son?” Jacob said to his father, “I am Esau your firstborn; I have done just as you told me; please arise, sit and eat of my game, that your soul may bless me.” But Isaac said to his son, “How is it that you have found it so quickly, my son?” And he said, “Because the LORD your God brought it to me.” Isaac said to Jacob, “Please come near, that I may feel you, my son, whether you are really my son Esau or not.” So Jacob went near to Isaac his father, and he felt him and said, “The voice is Jacob’s voice, but the hands are the hands of Esau.” And he did not recognize him, because his hands were hairy like his brother Esau’s hands; so he blessed him.
- NEGATIVE EMOTIONS CAUSES US TO BE IRRATIONAL AND MAKE WRONG DECISIONS, WHICH CAN AFFECT GENERATIONS.
- JUDGES 11:29-39 (JEPHTHAE’S VOW WAS MADE OUT OF EMOTION). THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD HAD ALREADY COME UPON HIM. THE VICTORY WAS A DONE DEAL AND THERE WAS NO NEED TO MAKE A VOW. BUT IN THE HEIGHT OF HIS EMOTION OF FEAR AND DOUBT, HE MADE AN IRRATIONAL VOW.
Judges 11:30-40 (NLT)
30 And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord. He said, “If you give me victory over the Ammonites, 31 I will give to the Lord whatever comes out of my house to meet me when I return in triumph. I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering. “So Jephthah led his army against the Ammonites, and the LORD gave him victory. He crushed the Ammonites, devastating about twenty towns from Aroer to an area near Minnith and as far away as Abel-keramim. In this way Israel defeated the Ammonites. When Jephthah returned home to Mizpah, his daughter came out to meet him, playing on a tambourine and dancing for joy. She was his one and only child; he had no other sons or daughters. When he saw her, he tore his clothes in anguish. “Oh, my daughter!” he cried out. “You have completely destroyed me! You’ve brought disaster on me! For I have made a vow to the LORD, and I cannot take it back.” And she said, “Father, if you have made a vow to the LORD, you must do to me what you have vowed, for the LORD has given you a great victory over your enemies, the Ammonites. But first let me do this one thing: Let me go up and roam in the hills and weep with my friends for two months, because I will die a virgin.” “You may go,” Jephthah said. And he sent her away for two months. She and her friends went into the hills and wept because she would never have children. When she returned home, her father kept the vow he had made, and she died a virgin. So it has become a custom in Israel for young Israelite women to go away for four days each year to lament the fate of Jephthah’s daughter.”
NEGATIVE EMOTIONS FROM THE OLD MAN VS THE NEW MAN:
AS BELIEVERS, WE GO THROUGH A GAMUT OF EMOTIONS. SOME FROM OUR OLD MAN AND SOME FROM THE NEW MAN.
- STRESS vs. PEACE — MANY OF US ARE UNDER HEAVY STRESS. – 4:6-8; PS 37:7-8. WE NEED TO LEARN HOW TO REST, BOTH SPIRITUALLY AND NATURALLY.
MARK 6:31..JESUS TOLD THE DISCIPLES TO COME APART AND REST LEST YOU COME APART.
- FEAR vs. FAITH – FEAR IS FAITH IN REVERSE. YOU DON’T MOVE FORWARD BECAUSE FEAR HAS YOU PARALYZED.
- 1 PETER 3:3-5 = BE A DAUGHTER OF SARAH WHO TRUSTED IN GOD, EVEN WHEN HER HUSBAND DIDN’T.
- FEAR KEEPS YOU FROM SUBMITTING BECAUSE YOUR FAITH IS IN A MAN AND NOT GOD. TURN THE FEAR INTO FAITH AND TRUST IN GOD’S LOVE. HE HAS YOUR BACK. HE WILL DO YOU GOOD.
- LIVE AND WALK BY FAITH – WHICH IS STRONG CONFIDENCE IN THE ONE WHO IS FAITHFUL
- FEELINGS OF LONELINESS vs. CONTENTMENT
12 I am forgotten as a dead man out of mind: I am like a broken vessel. KJV
ON THE CROSS, HE WAS ALL ALONE. HE CRIED OUT, “MY GOD, MY GOD. WHY HAST THOU FORSAKEN ME?”
LONELINESS PLAGUES MANY PEOPLE, THE UNBELIEVER AND BELIEVER, OLD AND YOUNG, SINGLE AND MARRIED, WOMEN, AND YES, EVEN MEN.
GOD HAS PROMISED US THAT HE WILL NEVER LEAVE US NOR FORSAKE US.
- BITTERNESS vs. FORGIVENESS (HEB. 12:15) – TELLS WARNS US THAT A ROOT OF BITTERNESS CAN SPRING UP AND DEFILE MANY. FORGIVE QUICKLY.
GOD NEVER INTENDED FOR US TO BE LED BY OUR EMOTIONS, BUT BY THE SPIRIT.
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. KJV
IF WE ARE SONS OF GOD, THEN WE SHOULD BE LED AND CONTROLLED BY THE SPIRIT OF GOD THAT LIVES ON THE INSIDE OF US. WE ARE TO WALK IN THIS EARTH AS SONS OF GOD.
PEOPLE WHO ARE SLAVES TO THEIR EMOTIONS DON’T HAVE A REALITY OF WHO THEY ARE. THEY ARE IN AN IDENTITY CRISIS.
HOW YOU FEEL DOES NOT DICTATE WHO YOU ARE.
SOME DAYS, I DON’T FEEL LIKE BEING MARRIED, BUT I AM A WIFE.
“THERE IS A DISCONNECT BETWEEN WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO.” MAY I ALSO ADD, THERE IS A DISCONNECT WITH WHO WE ARE AND HOW WE FEEL?”
OUR EMOTIONS NEED TO GO THRU A “CATHARSIS”
- A PURIFICATION OF EMOTIONS, A PURIFICATION OR PURGING THAT BRINGS ABOUT SPIRITUAL RENEWAL OR RELEASE FROM TENSION; ELIMINATION OF A COMPLEX BY BRINGING IT TO CONSCIOUSNESS AND AFFORDING IT EXPRESSION.
IT IS SAID THAT HURTING PEOPLE HURT PEOPLE. WE MAY BE SPIRITUAL PEOPLE WHO LOVE GOD, YET BE EMOTIONALLY UNHEALTHY.